Kwani Trust is a Nairobi-based literary network committed to the growth of the region’s creative industry through
publishing and distributing Contemporary African Literature, offering training opportunities, producing literary
events and establishing global literary networks.
The Marketing & Public Relations (PR) Manager is a central figure in the institution and will endeavour to ensure
the Trust’s relevance to the community by creating awareness of the Trust and its work, and by initiating,
developing and maintaining cooperative relationships with key constituencies. This function’s accountabilities are
three-fold: Handling external communications, and conducting both Editorial & Marketing outreach.
This position reports to the Executive Director and works in close collaboration with the Editorial and Sales &
Distribution Departments. This position is part of a team that is building a viable publishing house that is
commercially sustainable and that develops titles and products of world class literary quality.
Kwani Trust is a young and dynamic operation and the Marketing & PR Manager will be expected to build
systems and processes that make their department functional and effective, as well as developing, managing and
implementing an overall Marketing plan.
Key duties and responsibilities
· Develop and implement a strategic marketing and PR plan for the institution incorporating our various
publications, projects and programmes and that draws from our editorial philosophy
· Establish marketing linkages with other Arts, cultural and Literary institutions; building networks for
information sharing, partnering opportunities in event production, publishing and other core Kwani Trust
· Establish and maintain public networks for the promotion of Kwani Trust publications and activities and
develop strategies and implement campaigns to increase book sales among agencies such as schools, diaspora
groups, churches, associations and businesses
· Maintain a database of contacts and key constituents in media houses; institute a system of regular press
updates, and advertisement of Kwani Trust-related activities
· With guidance from the Managing Editor, assist in the preparation of media packs & press releases and
present information verbally and / or in writing as appropriate
· Prepare and maintain annual marketing budget
· Work with the Executive Director and Managing Editor to establish appropriate goals for marketing
PO Box 2895-00100, Nairobi
Off Riverside Drive ( 500 Metres after
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
campaigns and in concert with the Editorial Department, establish a master calendar that outlines marketing
events and campaigns
· Coordinate the Marketing Committee of the Board of Trustees and report to the overall Board on progress of
all marketing activities
· Maintain a regularly-updated database of all contacts key to the Trust’s operations, including but not limited
to ; writers and poets, performers at events, media contacts, larger stakeholders, editors , other publishers and
· Maintain existing and seek new markets for Kwani Trust publications and other outputs
· Provide support at Kwani Trust events; display of publications, logistics, etc and further assist with the
production of publicity material
Minimum qualifications and skills
· Experience in Marketing, Media relations or other communications-related activity is crucial. Experience in
an arts / literary institution is an added advantage
· Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field
· Demonstrable ability to undertake, originate and research on ideas for a Marketing & PR department in a
· At least 2-5 years of progressively responsible relevant experience. Experience in content management
through various media is an added advantage
· Excellent written, oral communication and organisational skills
· IT proficiency
How to Apply
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter ( maximum one page) illustrating their suitability for the above position
against the listed qualifications, competencies and skills together with a detailed CV, including names and
addresses of three referees. All applications should be sent via email by 5pm, Friday 11th September 2009 to
Wambui Thuku; email@example.com indicating ‘Application for Marketing Manager Post’ on the subject line.
The start date for this post is 1st October 2009. Interviews will take place during the week of 14th September and
21st September 2009.
Only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
To learn more about Kwani Trust, please visit: